Thursday 9 February 2012

Ecstasy & Agony

My project has been shortlisted for KVPY final interview. I was overjoyed. Doing research & teaching is my goal and hence KVPY interested me.

However my joy turned to agony when I realized that that interview date (28th Feb) falls between my two board exam date (27th Feb & 29th Feb). Interview location is Bangalore and traveling from Kolkata a day before my board exam is risky. In addition our board exam was rescheduled from 28th to 27th due to an All-India Industrial strike. If for any chance my travel is disrupted, my career will be jeopardized.

I called Prof. Chandrasekaran, the convener of the program requesting change of date. I was a bit apprehensive directly calling such a renowned person, but my desire to attend KVPY interview was great. Sir gave me a patient and gentle hearing. He explained the difficulty in getting the date changed (interviewers are coming from various locations including abroad) & also why video-conf call interview from a Kolkata based University is not feasible. He said that there will be a committee meeting to discuss the issue on Monday (6th Feb) and final decision will be taken there. I called on Monday and understood that the date can't be changed, however support will be given to have my interview taken at any time on 27-29 Feb.

The last few days have been painful. Though my father is ready to book multiple flights (so that even if one is canceled, there is another one), I feel that board exam is of priority. The risk of traveling to Bangalore is too high. With deep agony, I decided that I will not attend the interview.

My science and maths teachers are appalled with my decision. They have groomed me for many years and failing my teachers wish was hard.

Hope my decision augurs well in my career.

No comments: